The Texas Rangers are set to begin construction on their new ballpark in Arlington, and the first baby steps are taking place. The work will require road closures and parking lot closures, with the first round starting on August 3.
The beginning phase involves utility work, including the relocation of a 48-inch sanitary sewer line that's expected to take three to four months for completion. Surveying and mobilization of the site is expected to begin in the next few days. Manhattan Construction Company, which was selected by the Texas Rangers as general contractor for the new ballpark, will oversee the work.
To prep for that utility work, the club is executing these closures effective August 3:
- Nolan Ryan Expressway will be closed from south of Randol Mill Road to just north of parking lot entrance B7.
- The remainder of the Toyota Parking Lot A (south half behind the current Texas Live! construction site) and the northwest quadrant of the Tundra Parking Lot B will be closed.
There are also changes taking place during the Rangers' homestand, starting August 11:
- Fans will need to take Cowboys Way to enter parking lot entrances B6 and B7
- Parking Lot B will be open on game days for season parking only
- Lexus Valet Parking will continue to be available at parking lot entrance B1
- Cash parking south of Globe Life Park in Arlington is available in the Tacoma Parking Lot R.
Globe Life Park is only 23 years old, but the club desires a stadium with a retractable roof and air conditioning to bring in crowds during July, August, and September. They are also building Texas Live, an entertainment complex that's part of a greater $4 billion vision for the Arlington Stadium District. It includes the Rangers' new $1 billion ballpark and preservation of Globe Life Park.
After the utility prep is completed, crews will move on to excavation in September. Ohhh excavation. Piles of the earth moving from one place to another. That's deep.
The new stadium is set to be complete in time for the 2020 Major League Baseball season.
Nolan Ryan Expressway will be permanently closed from Randol Mill Road to Cowboys Way on or about September 18. It is expected that the majority of the Tundra Parking Lot B will also close permanently following a Rangers' homestand that concludes on September 14. More information on that closure is still to come.