Dallas-Fort Worth film critics bestow honors on 2016's best movies
The intimate drama that follows a boy living in inner city Miami through three stages of his young life was also given three other awards: best director for Barry Jenkins, best supporting actor for Mahershala Ali, and the the Russell Smith Award, an honor given annually to the best low-budget or cutting-edge independent film. The award is named for the late Dallas Morning News film critic.
The critics group also doled out the following awards:
- Best Actor: Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
- Best Actress: Natalie Portman - Jackie
- Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis - Fences
- Best Foreign Language Film: The Handmaiden
- Best Documentary: Tower
- Best Animated Film: Zootopia
- Best Screenplay: Kenneth Lonergan - Manchester by the Sea
- Best Cinematography: Linus Sandgren- La La Land
- Best Musical Score: Justin Hurwitz - La La Land
The Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association consists of 33 broadcast, print, and online journalists from throughout North Texas.