Who Doesn't Love a Bargain?
These 13 Dallas-Fort Worth deals fly high above the State Fair of Texas discounts
Ordinarily, we'd be anticipating all the discounts we could get in our annual trips to the State Fair of Texas this time of year. But with the biggest event on the local calendar canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, we'll have to look elsewhere to soothe our bargain-hunting souls.
We've unearthed some of the best deals around Dallas-Fort Worth to ease the strain on our readers' bank accounts. Below are 13 enticing deals for food, drink, travel, and entertainment to check out now.
- Cinemark: The movie theater chain recently opened three Dallas-Fort Worth area locations and plans to open more on August 21 when Words on Bathroom Walls and Unhinged become the first big movies to open in theaters since the start of the pandemic. Cinemark is enticing moviegoers with $5 tickets for adults and $3 for children and seniors for “Comeback Classic” films, as well as favorite traditional concessions at greatly reduced “Welcome Back” prices. The movie discounts only apply to older films; the new releases will be at regular prices. In addition, you can rent out an entire theater for up to 20 guests for $99 for a selection of older films, or $149 for new releases.
- Cotton Patch Cafe: The casual dining restaurant, which has 15 area locations, is offering 20 buttermilk hand-battered chicken tenders for $20 on Tuesdays, served with Cotton Patch’s scratch-made cream gravy or choice of any dipping sauce. Guests can add any Family Size Fixin’ for an additional $3. The deal is good for either dine-in or curbside to-go. The offer is not available for delivery through third party vendors.
- DoorDash: Subscribers for the food delivery service's DashPass will get exclusive deals through September 6, from local to national restaurant and convenience freebies, pickup deals, and more. From August 17 to August 23, they can get $20 off their next pickup order. From August 24 to August 30, they can get $15 off their convenience order from stores including Walgreens and 7-Eleven. And from August 31 to September 6, they can get up to $15 off on pizza orders from participating restaurants found in the “DashPass Pizza Favorites” carousel.
- Fireside Pies: The local pizza mini-chain, which has six Dallas-Fort Worth area locations, is offering $5 cocktails, $5 desserts, and three different meal packages through the end of August.
- Live by Loews - Arlington: The new hotel, located next to Globe Life Field, is enticing travelers to stay there with the More Space for Less offer, which takes 50 percent off a second room when booking two or more rooms.
- Nordstrom: The department store, which has three regular locations and six Nordstrom Rack locations in Dallas-Fort Worth, started its annual Anniversary Sale on August 19, running through August 30. The popular sale includes Daily Deals that offer even bigger discounts on select items for men and women from brands like ALLSAINTS, Zella, Madewell, and more. Anyone who picks up Anniversary Sale purchases in-store via curbside pick-up will be automatically entered to win a $100 Nordstrom Gift Card and more.
- On the Border: The Mexican food chain, which has 26 area locations, is offering an elevated Happy Hour menu for dine-in only from 3-6 pm, Monday-Friday. Deals include $5 appetizers like the new Queso Sampler, Cheese Quesadilla, Five Mini Crispy Tacos, Four Firecracker Stuffed Jalapeños, Three Mini Chimis, and Cantina Nachos. There are also $3 drinks like select grande domestic drafts or regular House Margaritas. For $5, drinkers can try a grande Strawberrita or grande Mango Tango.
- Red Roof Inn: As students begin to return to college campuses, limited dorm space or a reluctance to stay in crowded dorm environments is causing some to seek temporary housing. Red Roof Inn is offering a special 30 percent off discount through December 31 to support those students. Call 800-733-7663 or visit redroof.com and use code VP627535 when making a reservation.
- Texican Court: The Irving hotel is offering 50 percent off the last night of a three-night stay. Guests must stay for three consecutive nights to qualify for the promotion.
- Thirsty Lion: The gastropub and grill at Toyota Music Factory in Irving is offering a late night happy hour from 8:30-11:30 pm. There are food and drink discounts, like $5.95 house wine, well drinks, and margaritas, $1 off draft pints, and food items under $7.95.
- Toro Toro Fort Worth: The Latin steakhouse, which was one of eight restaurants that vied for Best New Restaurant at this year's Tastemaker Awards, has just introduced its first daily happy hour. Food specials include Toro Toro Burger for $10, Beef Filet Anticuchos for $9, Amarillo Ceviche for $10, and more, along with drink specials on items like the Tradicional Margarita, Tradicional Mojito, and select beer and wine.
- Vonlane: The luxury bus line, which has various routes between Fort Worth, Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio, is offering 15 percent off for travel through September 30. Use code Summer2020 to get the discount.
- Water Lantern Festival: While the planned festival in Fort Worth has been canceled in 2020, the organizers are offering 50 percent off tickets for when the event returns in 2021.