Will Paint for Whiskey
The drab walls of an historic Fort Worth building need some brushing up, and its owners are offering a stout prize for the artist who can do it best.
The 100-year-old tower best known as the iconic Ranch Style Beans plant southeast of downtown can be seen for miles from Interstate 30. It closed in 2009, and since last year, has housed Trinity River Distillery, which makes Texas Silver Star Whiskey, Texas Silver Star Vodka, and Texas Silver Star Honey Liqueur. The facility also includes a bar, tasting room, and patio.
Even with all the refurbishments done to transform the building, the facade still needs color. And that's where local artists come in.
Trinity River Distillery is hosting a public art contest whereby contestants are asked to create a Fort Worth-inspired mural that will cover a 60-foot-wide by 40-foot-tall wall that can be viewed from 600 yards away.
The reward for such outsized creativity is a haul of $1,000 worth of Texas Silver Star Whiskey. And bragging rights for miles, of course.
Here are the rules:
- While creativity is encouraged, judges are looking for something inspirational, entertaining, informative, and positive that shines a light on Fort Worth’s history and sense of community.
- The contest is open to visual artists of all experience levels, and the mural will be visible to drivers traveling west on I-30 into the city.
- Applications must include a project proposal in the form of a drawing or sketch with a description of 100 words or less.
- Applicants must also provide their name, address, phone number, and e-mail address.
- Sexual, insulting or derogative images or content are not allowed.
- Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, December 1.
“Trinity River Distillery looks forward to the opportunity to revive one of Fort Worth’s quintessential landmarks,” says Thomas Neely, CEO and president of Trinity River Distillery in a release. “We hope we can use this piece of history as a canvas to highlight Fort Worth’s distinctive personality.”
For more information, visit the distillery's website or call 844-365-7787.