Join the CultureMap Team
Food Editor — Austin-San Antonio
CultureMap is seeking a savvy food editor to join our Austin-San Antonio team. The ideal candidate has at least three years of experience as an editor and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
The food editor oversees the Restaurants + Bars sections of CultureMap’s Austin and San Antonio sites, so knowledge of and interest in both markets is imperative. In addition to writing daily content for both sites, the food editor is responsible for managing assignments and cultivating freelancers for the section.
The food editor must be plugged into the Austin and San Antonio food scenes and demonstrate a deep understanding of dining coverage for both markets or have experience parachuting into new markets and developing sources quickly. The candidate must be adept at news reporting, feature writing, assigning, and developing long-lead and evergreen story ideas. Must exhibit excellent writing, editing, and news judgment skills and be comfortable at a digital-only publication.
CultureMap is a digital media company delivering daily lifestyle content in the categories of restaurants and bars, real estate, society, arts, entertainment, fashion and beauty, home and design, travel, and city life. This position is based in our Austin office, with some travel to San Antonio.
- Work directly with the Austin-San Antonio editor to fulfill CultureMap’s editorial vision
- Manage and maintain robust Restaurants + Bars sections for Austin and San Antonio sites
- Write multiple articles daily
- Assign and edit freelance stories
- Maintain CultureMap City Guide listings
- Assist in editorial social media posts across platforms
- Assist in homepage and email creation
- Fill in as on-call editor as needed
- Manage special Restaurants + Bars programs and projects as assigned, including the Tastemaker Awards, CultureMap’s flagship annual event
- Represent the brand at CultureMap events and attend community events on behalf of CultureMap
Interested? Please send your resume and relevant writing samples to Arden Ward.
CultureMap is seeking an energetic assistant editor to join our Texas-wide team. The ideal candidate has at least two years of experience as an assistant editor and exhibits excellent writing, editing, organizational, and communication skills. This position requires a self-starter who loves working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and can juggle daily tasks with ease.
The assistant editor supports editors across our five CultureMap sites. Responsibilities include writing original articles, rewriting articles for publication in other markets, and proofreading. This team member must be able to work quickly and autonomously, while also expertly managing assignments and feedback from multiple editors. Must be a multi-tasker who does whatever it takes to get the job done.
CultureMap is a digital media company delivering daily lifestyle content in the categories of restaurants and bars, real estate, society, arts, entertainment, fashion and beauty, home and design, travel, and city life. Candidates should be plugged into these topics, have a sharp eye for news, and be knowledgeable about the cities we cover. This position can be based in Austin, Dallas, or Houston.
- Attend daily editorial meeting
- Execute day-to-day tasks, including writing, editing, and other content management assignments
- Write original local and network stories on tight deadlines
- Identify opportunities to leverage content across network of sites
- Keep editorial calendars up-to-date at all times
- Proofread articles on a daily basis
- Schedule homepages, emails, and social media posts
- Fill in as on-call editor as needed
- Excellent writing skills, editing skills, and news judgment
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills
- Proven ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with analytics tools
- Knowledge of AP style
- High-level thinker
- Proactive and team-oriented
- Driven to succeed
Interested? Send your resume and cover letter to Arden Ward.
Dallas-Fort Worth Advertising Sales Executive
CultureMap is seeking a highly motivated, experienced Advertising Sales Executive to drive sales revenue for CultureMap and Gow Media. The Account Executive will be responsible for helping grow their clients’ business through customized solutions utilizing a combination of CultureMap, Gow Media, and third-party products. The ideal candidate will have the ability to develop, or already holds, deep VP- and CMO-level relationships with businesses and agencies on a local and regional level.
Key Account Executive Responsibilities
- Create new leads by cold calling and scheduling face-to-face meetings
- Manage and exceed monthly, quarterly, and annual sales targets
- Cultivate and develop high-level client relationships as a consultative seller
- Develop creative campaigns and proposals to help clients achieve their business and marketing goals
- Manage and maintain relationships throughout the entire sales cycle, from initial contact through execution of the client campaign
- Provide regular updates to management on sales pipeline and partnerships
- Serve as an industry expert in digital advertising
Requirements, Experience, and Attributes of Ideal Candidates
- 2+ years outside sales experience, preferably in a local/regional media environment
- Proven success prospecting/cold-calling local and regional accounts
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Self-starter with a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality
- Consultative sales style with strong analytical skills and ability to research problems and provide strategic solutions
- Ability to work with the internal teams to solve problems and deliver results for clients
- Effective negotiation skills
- Exceptional organizational, written, and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills, well versed in Excel, Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to sell multiple products and present big ideas/complex packages
- Driven and goal-oriented with the ability to contribute to a highly collaborative team environment
If you love CultureMap, send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Lindsey Harvel.