Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Where to drink in Fort Worth right now: 5 best bars for a stiff cocktail. Last week’s winter blast — with its sub-zero temperatures, days-long power outages, boil water notices, and treacherous roads (all on top of an ongoing pandemic) — has put stress levels in surge mode. We all deserve a stiff drink. Perfect timing, then, that bars in Tarrant County have been officially cleared to reopen. Here are the five best bars to belly up to for a strong cocktail to take the edge off.
2. Dallas-Fort Worth is seeing rounds of robins all across their backyards. Amid wintry weather, power outages, water issues, and bursting pipes, Dallas-Fort Worth is enjoying at least one ray of sunshine: in the form of a massive influx of American robins. Robins regularly migrate to the South every winter, but in 2021, they've become a spectacular presence, with swarms of robins swooping in and hanging out, everywhere from the courtyards of inner-city lofts to the postage-stamp front yards of the suburbs.
3. 6 Fort Worth eateries land on Texas Monthly's best new restaurants list. The annual ranking of best new restaurants by Texas Monthly looks a little different this year. Instead of the usual list of 10 establishments, it focuses on favorite takeout dishes and drinks from across the Lone Star State, along with spotlighting three of the year's most exciting new openings. These are the Fort Worth dishes that made the list.
4. Major new mountain bike trails get rolling north of Dallas-Fort Worth. A 240-acre mountain biking space is under way in Denton, on the Hartlee Field Property next to the Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center. The city's first official mountain biking area, it will consist of five to seven miles of trails running through hills, woods, flat spaces, and open prairies, city officials say.
5. Coffee chain from Oregon brews up first Fort Worth-area location. More coffee coming to town, this time from Portland: Called Black Rock Coffee Bar, it's a small chain expanding to Dallas-Fort Worth, starting with two locations, both in the 'burbs. The closest one to Fort Worth will be in Southlake. Another is opening in Sachse, northeast of Dallas.