Hollywood to Cowtown
What do Logan's Run;Necessary Roughness; and Walker, Texas Ranger have in common? They were all filmed mostly, or partially, right here in Fort Worth.
According to GoCompare.com, Fort Worth is the fifth most-filmed city in the Lone Star State, with 331 movie and TV productions. Four other DFW spots appear in the top 10, including Dallas, at No. 2.
Austin is the most filmed city in Texas, with 2,257 movie and TV productions. Those productions range from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original and the remake) to Miss Congeniality and virtually anything star filmmakers Robert Rodriguez and Richard Linklater have shot.
Houston is third, and it also boasts the most-filmed location in the state: Johnson Space Center. It's been used for everything from Apollo 13 and Armageddon to Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon and the Clint Eastwood movie Space Cowboys.
The site compiled the list from the "filming locations" section of the Internet Movie Database (IMDb). Overall, Texas is the third most-filmed state — 8,164 total productions. Here is the list of most-filmed cities in Texas:
- Austin: 2,257 (Miss Congeniality, Boyhood, Texas Chainsaw Massacre,True Grit)
- Dallas: 1,537 (Robocop, Boys Don't Cry, Any Given Sunday)
- Houston: 1,279 (Apollo 13, Armageddon, Urban Cowboy)
- San Antonio: 564 (Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, Miss Congeniality, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure)
- Fort Worth: 331 (Logan's Run;Necessary Roughness; Walker, Texas Ranger)
- Arlington: 179 (The Rookie, Prison Break, Entourage)
- El Paso: 177 (The Counselor, The Day After Tomorrow, Man of Fire)
- Denton: 137 (Necessary Roughness, Armageddon, Bonnie and Clyde)
- Corpus Christi: 97 (Pearl Harbor, Selena, The Mentalist)
- Plano: 85 (Dallas, Wishbone)