Cord-cutters get another option as YouTube TV expands to Dallas-Fort Worth
YouTube has expanded its internet-based television service to Dallas-Fort Worth. On Thursday, owner Google announced the expansion of YouTube TV to the Big D and nine other new U.S. markets, including Houston.
For $35 a month, with no contract required, subscribers can get more than 40 channels plus live local feeds from all major broadcasters, including CBS, FOX, and NBC Dallas affiliates. In DFW, ABC coverage is restricted to on-demand prime time programming, minus the local news.
Other favorites include popular cable networks ESPN, AMC, FX, E!, Telemundo, the CW, IFC, BBC America, Bravo, the Disney Channel, FOX News, and MSNBC (CNN is notably missing). Local sports networks from NBC Sports and Fox Sports are also included.
The other cities getting the recent full service are Atlanta, Phoenix, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Charlotte, and Washington, D.C.
Aimed at cord-cutters, the service first launched in April in New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Philadelphia, and Chicago. It competes with such services as Dish’s Sling TV, AT&T’s DirecTV Now, Hulu’s live TV service, and Sony’s PlayStation Vue. Neilsen data reveals that half of YouTube TV's viewership is millennials aged 18-34; half of traditional TV viewers are over age 49.
Other YouTube TV features include:
- Can be watched on any screen—mobile, tablet, or computer—and can be easily streamed to a TV with Google Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV.
- Works on both Android and iOS. YouTube TV recently enabled AirPlay support so Apple TV owners can stream on the big screen.
- Includes a cloud DVR with no storage limits, so you can stream recordings on any device at any time. It also enables you to record live TV and never run out of storage space, plus record shows simultaneously without using data or space on your phone. Each recording will be stored for nine months.
- Can watch up to three concurrent streams at a time.
- Six accounts allowed per household.