Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Nomadic Fort Worth BBQ restaurant reopens in cozy gas station haunt. A local barbecue saga ends back in exactly the same place it started: in a Texaco station in Cresson. The Fort Worth location of acclaimed barbecue joint BBQ on the Brazos has closed — but owners John Sanford and Kathryn Warren have reopened the restaurant in the Texaco gas station in Cresson where they started out seven years ago.
2. Let's raise a glass to the 9 best bars in Fort Worth. The coronavirus may currently have bars in limbo, but hopefully Fort Worth bars will survive. As part of our Tastemaker Awards, CultureMap's annual event honoring the best in local food and drink, we paid tribute to Fort Worth's bar scene by spotlighting nine of the best bars in town. Here were the nine finalists for Bar of the Year.
3. 2 longtime Sundance Square boutiques ride off into the sunset. Two Sundance Square shops known for Fort Worth-themed swag and one-of-a-kind gifts are closing, and their owner is hanging up his hat after decades in the retail business. Retro Cowboy, at 406 Houston St., has closed its doors permanently; and Earth Bones Boutique, at 308 Main St., is turning out the lights August 30, says Chris Gensheimer, who owns and operates both.
4. Fort Worth restaurant seduces with comforts of breakfast and brunch. There's a new breakfast and brunch restaurant in West Fort Worth that aspires to do a modern version of a good old-fashioned diner. Called FiVi's Kitchen, it's located at 5724 Locke Ave., in the old Mariposa's Latin Kitchen space, where it has all the pancakes, omelets, and burgers you'd ever want.
5. Fort Worth's best restaurant and top chef crowned at 2020 Tastemaker Awards. In a year that has left the food and beverage industry devastated from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, Dallas-Fort Worth's talented and hard-working culinary stars deserved — more than ever — to be recognized and celebrated at the 2020 CultureMap Tastemaker Awards. The winners were finally revealed.