The Shape of Water takes top honors from Dallas-Fort Worth film critics
The Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association, of which our own Alex Bentley is a member, has voted The Shape of Water as the best film of 2017 as part of its 24th annual critics’ poll.
The fantasy romance starring Sally Hawkins was the big winner in the poll, also winning Best Actress for Hawkins, Best Director for Guillermo Del Toro, Best Cinematography, and Best Musical Score.
In order, the rest of the DFWFCA's top 10 movies of the year were The Post; Lady Bird; Call Me by Your Name; Get Out; Dunkirk; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; I, Tonya; The Florida Project; and Darkest Hour.
Other award winners include:
- Best Actor: Gary Oldman — Darkest Hour
- Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell — Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney — I, Tonya
- Best Screenplay: Greta Gerwig — Lady Bird
- Best Foreign Language Film: The Square
- Best Documentary: City of Ghosts
- Best Animated Film: Coco
- Russell Smith Award (best low-budget or cutting-edge independent film): The Florida Project
The Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association consists of 34 broadcast, print, and online journalists from North Texas.