Soaring to the top
Dallas-Fort Worth International flies high as world's 5th best airport, report says
A new study by aviation experts has determined that the second-busiest airport in the world is also one of the best: Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport soared through the ranks, landing at No. 5 in Cabin Crew HQ's 2023 "Best Airports in the World" report.
DFW was deemed the second busiest airport due to its high overall passenger count - more than 73.36 million people.
"Airports are the unsung establishments in an ever-evolving globalized world we all share a bitter-sweet relationship," the report says. "Lost baggage, delayed flights, transit recreation, and accommodating or unaccommodating staff make up a huge chunk of every passenger's experience around the globe."
The study looked at several different metrics to determine their rankings: passenger count, the average percentage of on-time flights, the most economical parking fees, the cost to drop-off a traveler, and the variety of restaurants and shops on site. The study endeavored to come up with the world's most economical, timely, and shopper-friendly airports.
On average, 75 percent of DFW flights are on time, the report says. For comparison, 88.4 percent of flights at Tokyo International Airport (No. 1) are on time.
Dropping off a traveler at DFW is fairly cheap; the shortest available parking slot costs $2, according to the study. As for weeklong parking fees, that will set travelers back by $105.
DFW also has a combined 191 restaurants and shops on its premises.
DFW was the only Texas airport to land in the top five. Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport ranked No. 6.
The top 10 best airports in 2023 are:
- No. 1 – Tokyo International Airport
- No. 2 – Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
- No. 3 – O-Hare International Airport
- No. 4 – Mexico City International Airport
- No. 5 – Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport
- No. 6 – George Bush Intercontinental Airport
- No. 7 – Indira Gandhi International Airport
- No. 8 – Denver International Airport
- No. 9 – Istanbul International Airport
- No. 10 – Charlotte Douglas International Airport