This Week's Hot Headlines
Cliburn Competition winners top this week's 5 most-read Fort Worth stories
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines. Looking for the best things to do this weekend? Find that list here. For some delicious food and drink events, go here.
1. 18-year-old South Korean pianist triumphs at 2022 Cliburn Competition in Fort Worth. Yunchan Lim, an 18-year-old pianist from South Korea, won the Sixteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition on June 18 in Fort Worth, becoming the youngest winner in the competition's 60-year history. Second place went to Anna Geniushene, 31, of Russia; and third place went to Dmytro Choni, 28, of Urkraine. After the winners received their medals, they were celebrated with a primo party in Sundance Square.
2. 4 Dallas-Fort Worth counties rate among 10 wealthiest in Texas, report says. On the heels of a report that named Rockwall County the richest county in Texas based on median household income, another survey shows three other North Texas counties aren't doing too bad, either. A new ranking from personal finance website SmartAsset lists Collin, Dallas, Rockwall, and Denton counties among the wealthiest in Texas.
3. Sundance Square gets its tacos back and more Fort Worth restaurant news. This roundup of dining news around Fort Worth includes many openings, some new dishes, and the sad passing of two major figures in the restaurant world. Here's what's happening in Fort Worth restaurant news.
4. American Airlines adds new way to breeze through DFW Airport security. As airports experience a crush of travel delays, American Airlines is making it easier to get through security checkpoints at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. American Airlines just rolled out its new Mobile ID feature. Anyone with a cellphone, TSA PreCheck membership, AAdvantage number, and driver’s license or U.S. passport can now verify their identity with facial recognition at DFW’s security checkpoints.
5. The official list of top 4th of July events and fireworks around Dallas-Fort Worth in 2022. While Fourth of July celebrations never truly stopped during the pandemic, the number of events noticeably decreased. But now, 2022 is packed to the gills with events all over Dallas-Fort Worth, including the return of a few that had been on hiatus until now. Here are the biggest and best Fourth of July celebrations taking place this year all around the DFW area.