Ex-Max's chef gets wish with new restaurant in South Main Fort Worth
One of Fort Worth's best-known chefs is about to open a new restaurant. Chef Stefon Rishel, who first rose to local fame while working at Max's Wine Dive, will open Wishbone & Flynt in the trendy South Main district of Fort Worth.
Wishbone & Flynt was born out of a partnership between Rishel and Trident Restaurant Group principals Kyle Bryson and Wallace Owens. It'll be located at 334 Bryan Ave., a block away from Black Cat Pizza, with a tentative date set for late January/early February.
Since leaving Max's, Rishel worked at an upscale Sak's restaurant in Houston, before returning to Fort Worth to work as chef and GM at Texas Bleu Steakhouse in Keller. In a release, he says that the concept has been in the works for several years.
"My goal is to provide a consistently exceptional experience for our guests in every way — from scratch-made food and craft cocktails to a comfortable upscale atmosphere and friendly service," he says.
Affordability is also on their wish list.
"We have price-pointed this out to where you can get a group of six to eight people together and come in and share a multitude of courses for a minimal amount of money," Rishel says. "The concept of going out to dinner the way it used to be has been lost, and I want to bring that back."
They haven't released a menu yet, but Instagram photos indicate that dishes will include:
- Rishel's signature PB&J wings, featuring chicken wings with spicy Thai peanut sauce, blackberry coulis, chopped peanuts, and cilantro
- seared duck breast with parsnip purée, Brussels sprout leaves, brûlée'd figs, and pomegranate molasses
- Divers scallop with fried green tomato, fennel jam, and pickled watermelon rind chow-chow
- wild boar shoulder guisada with tortillas and blistered chiles
- Pepperjack Tater Tot with creme fraiche and caviar
- pork and shrimp dumplings with black vinegar and Thai chile
- Wagyu tenderloin with horseradish whipped potatoes, crispy butterball potatoes, and pickled mustard seeds
Small bites include elotes hush puppies and a chef's cheese board. Desserts include a Callebaut chocolate-orange tartlet with a brown butter crust.
Offerings will include a boutique wine list of 80 hand-selected bottles, with 40 by the glass, as well as craft cocktails and exclusive dishes.
Wishbone & Flynt will also have an adjoining upscale speakeasy called The Amber Room, with craft cocktails and an atmosphere described as reminiscent of The Great Gatsby.