This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines. Looking for the best things to do this weekend? Find that list here.
1. Portillo's deploys food truck to Dallas-Fort Worth to preview its famed Chicago hot dog. Chicago-style hot dogs are popping up via Portillo's. The fast-casual restaurant concept known for its Chicago-style street food is bringing its Beef Bus food truck to tour Texas from July 11-23, offering a preview of its menu ahead of its first restaurant opening in Texas, later this year. Fortunately for Tarrant County fans, they're including Arlington in the mix.
2. Fort Worth's July 4th fireworks show abruptly ended by disastrous grass fires. Fort Worth was forced to shut down its Fourth of July fireworks show due to a series of grass fires that ignited along the Trinity River. Advertised as the largest July 4 fireworks show in North Texas, the show took place at Panther Island Pavilion, and was canceled only a few minutes after it started, when fires immediately began to break out on the Trinity River banks.
3. These Dallas-Fort Worth businesses punch in among Texas' best employers, report says. Half of the state’s top 20 small and midsize employers to work for are right here in Dallas-Fort Worth, according to a new ranking. Great Place to Work, which helps employers improve their workplace culture, and Fortune magazine teamed up to select the Best Companies to Work For in 2022 in two categories: small and midsize employers, and large employers.
4. Former TCU tennis star Cam Norrie earns royal salute as 2022 Wimbledon semifinalist. Former TCU tennis superstar Cameron Norrie became a surprise king of the court at the 2022 Wimbledon Championships, and his hard-fought battle into the semifinals even earned him a bow from real royalty. Ex-Horned Frog Norrie, Britain's No. 1-ranked player and the ninth seed at Wimbledon, defeated Belgium’s David Goffin in a thrilling five-set quarterfinal match cheered on by the The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on Tuesday, July 5. The royals later tweeted him their congratulations.
5. These are the 8 best food and drink events in Fort Worth this week. July means it’s officially ice cream season, and there are several events this week to celebrate the creamy, cool treat. Summer produce is also ripe and ready, and there's an annual festival happening this weekend dedicated to the beloved peach. Also find produce bursting with flavor at a local farmers market that takes place only once a month.