This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note: A lot happened this week, so here's your chance to get caught up. Read on for the week's most popular headlines.
1. Popular burger bar on Fort Worth's west side closes Memorial Day weekend. Fort Worth has lost a popular burger joint: The Dive Burger Bar, which specialized in burgers, beer, and frozen cocktails, closed over the Memorial Day holiday. The owner is hoping to continue his burger legacy by doing burger nights at Oscar's Pub, which he also owns.
2. Fort Worth stampedes to No. 2 among fastest-growing major U.S. cities. Fort Worth corralled a major gain in population from 2019 to 2020, according to new Census Bureau figures. The estimates, released May 27, show the population of Fort Worth jumped 2.1 percent during that one-year period. Among major U.S. cities, Fort Worth ranked second for population growth from 2019 to 2020, landing at 927,720 people on July 1, 2020.
3. 5 adults-only Texas destinations for a blissful post-COVID 'vacci-cation.' If 2020 was the summer of staycations, 2021 is the summer of “vacci-cations.” You’re now Pfizered-up, Moderna-pumped, and J&J-prepped for some R&R away. Leave your corona troubles behind, grab a travel buddy, and hit the road for a grown-up getaway to one of these dreamy destinations — no kids allowed.
4. Dallas-Fort Worth's 2 major airlines suspend on-flight alcohol service. Two DFW airlines are suspending alcohol service on flights: Both Dallas-based Southwest Airlines and Fort Worth-based American Airlines have placed a delay on alcohol service, following an increase in bad behavior on planes and inside airports.
5. Watch them make pasta at this new Italian restaurant in downtown Fort Worth. The day has come for pasta fans via one of the more exciting restaurant openings in Fort Worth: Il Modo, a new Italian restaurant, has opened on the ground floor of the Harper Fort Worth, the restored historic landmark hotel in the former XTO Energy Headquarters building at 714 Main St. in downtown.